If you are coming from abroad, you can check if there is a medical examiner in your country who is able to administer Canadian aviation medicals

Alternatively, you could see if you are eligible to complete your medical over the phone (note: if this is your first time applying for a medical, you are not eligible for this option):

If neither option works, we recommend doing your medical as soon as possible once you arrive in Canada. If you are already In Canada, we advise that you find a local doctor to complete your medical ASAP – you can find a list of doctors local to Canada at the first link provided in this section.


You must pass a written exam on Canadian air law (PSTAR exam), and a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Certificate (ROC-A) exam.

We can facilitate your radio licence and PSTAR exams. The study material for this is available as part of your PPL course purchase at the online ground schools: or

Written Exam

You must complete the written exam to convert a licence. Ground school will help you prepare for the exam and it can be done online and at your own pace.

Ground school can be completed here at or If you would like additional practice exams you can find them here:

Flight Test

You will need to pass a Checkride for the intended Licence:

PPL Flight test guide

CPL Flight test guide

FLVC (optional)

If you have a foreign licence and would like to go solo before completing the flight test, written test, and obtaining your Canadian PPL/CPL licence, then you must apply for an FLVC (Foreign Licence Validation Certificate).

If you choose to go this route, then prior to the issuance of the validation of the FLVC, Transport Canada (TC) licensing staff need to examine the following:

1. A completed application and declaration that the pilot holds a valid licence and medical certificate that are appropriate for the privileges required for the operation and are legally valid in the State that issued the licence; including evidence of:

2. A valid foreign flight crew licence or a valid temporary foreign flight crew licence endorsed with privileges and ratings which apply to the Foreign Licence Validation Certificate application

3. A valid medical certificate issued by the same State that issued the licence.

Note: In the case of a licence issued by a member country of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), a medical certificate issued by any EASA member country.

4. A valid English or French language proficiency rating set by ICAO.

5. A detailed description of the operation the applicant will undertake

6. The geographical location where the operation will take place

7. The time required to complete the specific operation

8. A brief explanation of why the operator cannot use a Canadian flight crew licence holder

For more information visit this link:

Hours (PPL)

You can use your hours from the flying completed in your country to apply, however, you must have all the minimums required to apply for the licence in question.

A minimum of 45 hours of flight training including:

17 hours dual instruction flight time, including a minimum of 5 hours Instrument Training and 3 hours cross-country;

12 hours solo flight time, including 5 hours cross-country with a flight of 150 nautical miles including 2 full stop landings at points other than the point of departure.

Hours (CPL)

(1) Minimum of 200 hours flight time, of which a minimum of 100 hours shall be pilot-in-command, including 20 hours cross-country pilot-in-command, and
(2) Following the issuance of a private pilot licence, have completed 65 hours of commercial pilot flight training, consisting of a minimum of:

(A) 35 hours dual instruction flight time, including:
(i) 5 hours night, including a minimum of 2 hours cross-country flight time
(ii) 5 hours cross-country which may include the cross-country experience stated above
(iii) 20 hours instrument flight time. A maximum 10 hours of the 20 may be conducted in an approved simulator or synthetic flight training device.

(B) 30 hours solo flight time including:
(i) 25 hours solo flight time emphasising the improvement of general flying skills of the applicant which shall include a cross-country flight to a point of a minimum of 300 nautical mile radius from the point of departure and shall include a minimum of 3 landings at points other than that of departure; and
(ii) 5 hours solo flight time by night during which a minimum of 10 takeoffs, circuits and landings were completed.

An applicant who is a graduate from an approved integrated course shall have completed the applicable experience requirements in section 426.75 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations.